A classmate (Ruth) and myself have been working on an outdoor public sculpture on campus as part of the requirement for my spatial arts class. We made this giant piece out of discarded bottles that we collected from around campus. It was amazing how beautiful it was- considering we used trash to make it. I've been really interested in exploring the use of discarded and found objects as opposed to traditional art making supplies. Besides being cost effective, it challenges the notion of what is art and what can be made into art? I really enjoy taking something that is nonfunctional and purposeless and repurposing it to give it purpose.
It was also lovely to have my family up for the weekend :)
5 comments:
very cool, although i was hoping that every lamp post along the sidewalk would have the same installation! haha.
That is so neat, Laura. I think you should send those pictures to the Arts Center here. They love seeing your art!
I like it! I was going to ask how you added the blue and green color, but fortunately I found more fotos on Flickr...http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauraprentice/3022999425/in/photostream/
This thing is huge! You must have had a very tall ladder?
The installation appears to be causing some strange rift in the gravitational field. The artist is clearly rising off the ground.
I had a very tall later and a very tall friend helping me
Post a Comment