Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A World Without Birds

I was sitting on my parent's back deck and realized how much I love hearing birds chirp. So, I wrote a poem:

A WORLD WITHOUT BIRDS by Joel Land:

A world without birds would be such a drag.
A world without bird turds and baby bird slag.
A fresh fertilizer for all of the world.
A soil that intrigues boys and disgusts the girls.
Imagine the sadness in one earthworms life,
If he didn't have a dirt home to offer his wife.
Consequently, the worm becomes foods
For hungry infant beaks to which the mother bird broods.
If animals were aware of this dreary cycle,
They'd all be depressed.
The way of the world is just order and mess.
I must confess, I applaud the birds ways.
They do what we don't, and have yet to complain.
To live and provide, to love and then die.
Ah, to see through the sparrow's eye.


ps. maybe this is the way to spruce up the fam blog? everyone who reads this must pen a poem and post it.

pps. Grandma, this one is for you.

10 comments:

Edie said...

OK, Joel - a bit of doggerel:

A sparrow, a chickadee, bluebird or wren,
Even a grackle can be someone's friend.
Laura saw a moorhen, or was it a coot?
I like the owls - they give me a hoot.
Dave headed west for watching the hawks,
We might see a heron at the lake from our docks.
Joel tends bird houses and makes some that are new,
Out at the lake we have quite a few.
I'm glad that my family is watching the birds,
Just keep me informed and send me the words!

D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darren said...

I'll come up with something on my breaks at the beach. I've seen lots of really cool birds out there so far, I should bring a field guide as I have no idea what kind they are. Whoa, didn't even try to rhyme that last sentence.

Dave said...

Gagwall, Shoveler, Buffelhead, Pewee.
Merganser, Scaup, Dipper, Tohee.
Watching and listening to God's creation,
Gives a new appreciation.
His wonders never cease to amaze me.

Edie said...

4 adult Canada geese slid into the river followed by 12 offspring - nearly as big as the parents, but still all downy gray.

Brian Prentice said...

The Burrowing Owl soft and brown
digs his dwelling underground.
Unconcerned his home he makes,
with prairie dogs and rattle snakes.
Alas I'm sorry to reveal
his neighbors often are his meal.
He winks and bows as you go by...
he's so polite. I wonder why?

Ranger Rick Magazine
1971?

Carol Land said...

So sorry, Mr. Robin.
Your nest's not welcome on our deck light.
Find a new home to put mom in.
Take that grass and build with all your might.

Mission accomplish-ed:
Today blue egg shells in our flower bed.

Austin said...

The Colorful Life of a Drake
By Austin Land

Some people ask why I have so much luck,
So I tell them: "That's why I'm a duck!"
Alas! Much confusion this does make,
Cause my name isn't mallard...IT'S DRAKE!
Living in the Midwest isn't always the best,
Without it there would be no feelings to get off my chest.
I'm starting to love all of this stormy weather,
Since now I can say I don't have a weak feather.
In order to stay alive I must avoid the fake calls of the hunter and his deadly gun,
Always thinking one step ahead of them because they ruin all of the fun.
My friends think I'm crazy by living by my calling,
Its only the family motto: "Live dangerously and Love - without falling.
Others say the only reason for storms and the deep, dark blue, is to smother,
But thankfully this is not true, because they're the only reason I have all my color.

The End

Edie said...

Less Than Lovely Birds

Turkeys are a nuisance, turkeys are a pest.
Turkeys come into my yard - they may even nest.
Turkeys on the front deck, turkeys on the rail,
Turkeys leave their droppings each day without a fail.
I need a guy who's handy, handy with a gun
To come and shoot the turkeys and get them on the run.

Unknown said...

Turkeys Flying. Crash!
Unsophisticated Stop.
Wiggle Wobble, Poop.

It's wild turkey Haiku.