Sunday, April 26, 2009

High water

Hello everyone. Tom and I just returned from a weekend in Kulm visiting Randy, and then going to Jamestown for a concert. The JC choir and band performed Karl Orff's "Carmina Burana", a very entertaining and exciting work. You would all recognize parts of it that have become famous through commercials and soundtracks. They did a fantastic job with the piece; we were very impressed. Austin was in a nice color photo on the front page of the Collegian, taken during a rehearsal. After the concert he got to pose for some other photos with Korean students - you'll have to ask him about that!

It was a very cold and windy day, but we had to check out all the high water around Jamestown. It's like nothing I've ever seen. Never thought I'd see water flowing into the "Glory Hole" but here it is. We talked about how Dad would have been so interested in monitoring and photographing this whole high water scenario, and how glad we are that he wanted to build their house on a hillside, where Mom is high and dry!
A quick trip out to the lake gave us a view of water, water, and more water. The ice is all gone, and the level seems no higher than when Mom took pictures on Tuesday, but it must still be flowing in. Our spring is very active and there are still some snowbanks around. Had to drive through some water on the road when you turn north.


Things seem to be okay around the cabin. When you stand on the front deck and look straight down, there is about a foot of ground before the water starts. But the trees are still out of the water. The burn pile is mostly underwater. A loon was swimming right out in front.
Looking forward t0 fun with all of you this summer at the original Prentice Landing!



4 comments:

Michael said...

thanks for the update mom. things look wet, to say the least.

skibrain said...

Thanks for the photos.

I've been looking on line to see if there are any photos of the Jamestown reservoir. None that recent - although I did see some YouTube hits. Amazing to think of how much more water volume/pressure there is on the dam with the water that high.

That has to put the bridge to the island and marina building (if there still is one) well under water.

Austin said...

brian, yeah, the bridge has actually been completely underwater for awhile now, but idk about the marina building exactly, this whole situation is pretty crazy though!

Dave said...

I had the same thoughts Brian, about how well the dam is holding. I always associated the gloryhole with protecting the dam, keeping the water from getting too high. Never thought I'd ever see it function. Would be interesting to know the engineering specs. presssure at various levels, how much the dam can withstand.